Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
10,000+ Club

While I agree that Regent has extremely poor communication with it's passengers in terms of advising them of changes, I do not feel the same about the President of Regent or the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings. IMO, both men care deeply about Regent and do their best to correct "wrongs". They are so on top of things that the ship's G.M. often hears of complaints or compiiments from passengers who post on CruiseCritic while they are still on the ship (via top management).

There will always be issues when management does not see things the same as a passenger does.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieq View Post
Thanks for all the info and tips.

I don't intend to drink much on this cruise, however, the only wine I drink is Pinot Grigio and it must be from Italy. Otherwise, I either don't like the taste or I get a terrible headache.

Does Regent serve Pinot Grigio?

Thanks!
There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.

Last edited by galavant3; October 3rd, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmarie View Post
There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.
Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Responder View Post
Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged.
No flogging from me! I don't drink much white wine, much prefer red. I don't know much about wine but I enjoy "learning". Feel free to post specifics. Consider it community service.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
10,000+ Club

We are also red wine drinkers for the most part and do avoid Italian wines as much as we can. Our favorite wines come from California and Washington -- however, we are not wine connoisseurs

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's almost 2am and now I'm wishing for a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a caesar salad and a lovely glass of Santa Margarita pinot.

Gotta love this cruise critic ;-)
Eastbound Panama Canal, 2/2008, Azamara Quest
Hawaii and Tahiti, 1/2005, HAL Statendam
Southern Caribbean, 2/2003, CCL Spirit
St. George's Bermuda, 6/2000, NCL Norwegian Majesty
Western Caribbean, 4/1993, RCCL Nordic Prince
Eastern Caribbean, 4/1991, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas

Old October 5th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdster View Post
It's almost 2am and now I'm wishing for a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a caesar salad and a lovely glass of Santa Margarita pinot.

Gotta love this cruise critic ;-)
I think that if you call room service they should be able to send it up right away!

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

No big plate of spaghetti at 2am for me ;-(

My DH and I are getting ready for our first Regent cruise and that means a little dieting now so I can eat everything I want on the trip.

Seriously, I think CC is a great place to get all kinds of hints about the cruises, cruise lines, ports and etc. Thank you to the OP and all the people that have taken the time to respond to this thread and all the rest.

Now I'm off to have my dry melba toast and black coffee while I dream of a delightful breakfast buffet (hope they have fresh croissants) and the sea breeze in my hair!
Eastbound Panama Canal, 2/2008, Azamara Quest
Hawaii and Tahiti, 1/2005, HAL Statendam
Southern Caribbean, 2/2003, CCL Spirit
St. George's Bermuda, 6/2000, NCL Norwegian Majesty
Western Caribbean, 4/1993, RCCL Nordic Prince
Eastern Caribbean, 4/1991, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas

Old October 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default OP is on a Charter

the Mariner dropped us off at Civitavvechia on the 24th and was starting a five-day charter for FedEx.

OP's question re what to expect on a Regent cruise and ensuing responses likely not quite accurate.

back to OP... what is life on a charter cruise like?

Old October 30th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieq View Post
Thanks! That's my absolute favorite Pinot Grigio....
There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris

Old October 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4this View Post
There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris
You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Overall, Regent is a terrific cruise line. The food is incredible and with the exception of being a little bored during the afternoons with not enough to do, I have cruised with them several times.
rallydave did hit on an important piece here though. If something goes wrong, the silence IS deafening. On my last cruise with Regent - August 2011 - I was injured due to the negligence of a tender driver. I sent an e-mail to Mark Conroy and recieved a message back stating that he was looking into it. Great - or so I thought. He fowarded it to Gair O'Neill, whom I had already spoken to, and they stated that my own insurance should pay for my doctor bills and physical therapy. So, I wrote another letter to Mr. Conroy and sent it snail mail. I told him - again - that I had already spoken to Gair. I felt that it was wrong that I didn't get an apology at the very least! To date, I have heard nothing, nor do I expect to. How hard is it to say, "We're sorry this happened to you?" It would have released some anger and disappointment about Regent.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.
Travelcat2 - Like all wine cellars and their wines, the search is always on for the best of the best. Italian wines have their range of best and bad like Chile, Napa, and South Australia. It is true that some areas of the world make better reds than whites, and whites better than reds. I have found the ongoing tasting in the hunt for that special red or white is a good part of the joy of drinking wine. Consideration must also be given to the status of our taste buds at the time of our drinking simply because how we feel and what we have consumed prior to the consumption can dictate whether or not we like the wine before us. Before I would write off all white wines from Italy I would like to attend a 'blind tasting' in which I have before me poured white wines from a variety of wineries in Europe and America. Chances are the Italian one might survive my narrowing down to the final glass. Then again, it might be the first one shoved aside. Jack Morris

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all, we are off on our first Regent cruise on May the 20th and are really looking forward to it, whilst we enjoy our wine, I also enjoy good old British bitter beer, I have been previously told that if I contacted Regent, then they may consider putting some on the cruise for me, I only like a couple per day normally with my feet up overlooking the stern, watching the wake and hopefully the sunset.

My question is to get a responce do I put the request onto the butler request section of the booking form (cant remember the correct name but I am sure you know what I mean), write to Regent (a name would be useful, and should it be to the UK or USA part of the company) or do I go throught my travel agent in the UK.

Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?

Regards
Marion & Kerry

Last edited by charltonkerry; November 4th, 2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Still can't spell, will get the hang of it one day.

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by charltonkerry View Post
Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?
Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards
Ralf

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ralf, don't know the answer to your question and i would also like to know it. You might be interested to know that a few of us have valiantly been trying to get a roll call started for this cruise so if you are interested in having a chat with fellow cruisers then go to the roll call section and I am sure you will find it. At the moment I am paying for the first round of drinks, if / when we meet.
Regards
Marion & Kerry

Old November 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmv View Post
Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards
Ralf
With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.

Old November 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

@Responder: Thanks for the quick answer - I will try to do that.

@charltonkerry: Uups - I mixed things up - I'm cruising on the Mariner not on the Voyager on May 20th. But I think on your Vineyards & Vistas Cruise you will have the oportunity to try lots of different wines on your tours ...

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Responder View Post
With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.
Responder - I wish I had your pointer on requesting the wine list from the wine steward on my last trip in January. It would have made a great difference in my consuption. I will follow your advice in April when Navigator shoves off for a cruise of the sourthern areas of the east coast. Jack Morris

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmv View Post

Regards
Ralf
Hi Ralf
I think you will find the variety of wines quite interesting. Given that Regent is US owned, I had expected the wines to be dominated by California varietals so you can imagine how surprised I was to be offered an Alsace Gewurz on our first evening - which we returned to more than once! Also found a spectacular Penfolds from Aus - admittedly on the premium list but at a bargain price! Can honestly say that you are sure to find something of interest.
Alan
RSSC Voyager Rome to Southampton May 2013
RSSC Mariner Venice to Monte Carlo June 2014