1st time for Regent cruise.....any advice/tips

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Read Regent Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Regent Cruises Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:31 AM.
#21
Washington State
20,388 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
While I agree that Regent has extremely poor communication with it's passengers in terms of advising them of changes, I do not feel the same about the President of Regent or the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings. IMO, both men care deeply about Regent and do their best to correct "wrongs". They are so on top of things that the ship's G.M. often hears of complaints or compiiments from passengers who post on CruiseCritic while they are still on the ship (via top management).

There will always be issues when management does not see things the same as a passenger does.
#22
3,013 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by maggieq
Thanks for all the info and tips.

I don't intend to drink much on this cruise, however, the only wine I drink is Pinot Grigio and it must be from Italy. Otherwise, I either don't like the taste or I get a terrible headache.

Does Regent serve Pinot Grigio?

Thanks!
There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.
#23
Miami, Fl
1,058 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by debmarie
There was also a Castello Banfi Pinot Grigio available at an additional cost of $34. I'm not sure if the wine menu is the same from ship to ship.
Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged.
#24
3,013 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Responder
Coming from a wine snob, albeit an educated one and please don't take this personally, but the Italians never learned to make a white wine..

That said, a few of my desert island wines are Italian reds...namely Amarone and Barolo and a few more...yes, these are huge wines, not inexpensive, and not everyone can handle them, but just my opinion.

I'm ready to be flogged.
No flogging from me! I don't drink much white wine, much prefer red. I don't know much about wine but I enjoy "learning". Feel free to post specifics. Consider it community service.
#25
Washington State
20,388 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
We are also red wine drinkers for the most part and do avoid Italian wines as much as we can. Our favorite wines come from California and Washington -- however, we are not wine connoisseurs
#26
101 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
It's almost 2am and now I'm wishing for a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a caesar salad and a lovely glass of Santa Margarita pinot.

Gotta love this cruise critic ;-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ultimate Amazon, 11/2011, RSSC Seven Seas Navigator
Circle Australia, 3/2010, HAL Volendam
Galapagos Islands, 4/2009, Celebrity Xpedition
Eastbound Panama Canal, 2/2008, Azamara Quest
Hawaii and Tahiti, 1/2005, HAL Statendam
Southern Caribbean, 2/2003, CCL Spirit
St. George's Bermuda, 6/2000, NCL Norwegian Majesty
Western Caribbean, 4/1993, RCCL Nordic Prince
Eastern Caribbean, 4/1991, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
#27
AZ
352 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by birdster
It's almost 2am and now I'm wishing for a big plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, a caesar salad and a lovely glass of Santa Margarita pinot.

Gotta love this cruise critic ;-)
I think that if you call room service they should be able to send it up right away!
#28
101 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
No big plate of spaghetti at 2am for me ;-(

My DH and I are getting ready for our first Regent cruise and that means a little dieting now so I can eat everything I want on the trip.

Seriously, I think CC is a great place to get all kinds of hints about the cruises, cruise lines, ports and etc. Thank you to the OP and all the people that have taken the time to respond to this thread and all the rest.

Now I'm off to have my dry melba toast and black coffee while I dream of a delightful breakfast buffet (hope they have fresh croissants) and the sea breeze in my hair!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ultimate Amazon, 11/2011, RSSC Seven Seas Navigator
Circle Australia, 3/2010, HAL Volendam
Galapagos Islands, 4/2009, Celebrity Xpedition
Eastbound Panama Canal, 2/2008, Azamara Quest
Hawaii and Tahiti, 1/2005, HAL Statendam
Southern Caribbean, 2/2003, CCL Spirit
St. George's Bermuda, 6/2000, NCL Norwegian Majesty
Western Caribbean, 4/1993, RCCL Nordic Prince
Eastern Caribbean, 4/1991, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
#29
San Francisco
142 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
the Mariner dropped us off at Civitavvechia on the 24th and was starting a five-day charter for FedEx.

OP's question re what to expect on a Regent cruise and ensuing responses likely not quite accurate.

back to OP... what is life on a charter cruise like?
#30
Awesome Hill, Loomis, CA 95650 USA
727 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by maggieq
Thanks! That's my absolute favorite Pinot Grigio....
There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris
#31
Washington State
20,388 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by 2old4this
There goes Responder's position on white wines and Italy as stated by maggieq. Let the flogging begin in earnest. Several Italian wineries make fine Pinot Grigio's as their international awards and sales show and my taste buds agree. Until all the whites from all the wineries in Italy have been tasted, Responder's position is an easy one to challenge.

I enjoyed a Pinot Grigio from central Italy on my September crossing with Cunard's Queen Mary 2. It was an absolute delight. http://awesome.webplus.net/theqm2/ Jack Morris
You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves....
Total nights: Regent = 351 / Silversea = 36 / Oceania = 26 (2 Explorer, 2 Voyager and 1 Mariner sailing upcoming)

Sailings per ship: Explorer (3), Voyager (11), Mariner (9), Navigator (3), PG (1), Silver Spirit (1), Silver Whisper (1), Silver Shadow (1), Oceania Riviera (2)

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Barcelona - Miami / Cape Town – Rio (2 sailings) / Cape Town - Cape Town / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / CHRISTENING CRUISE - Explorer - Monte Carlo-Monte Carlo / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Istanbul / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Miami-Miami (Amazon) / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo
#32
Naples, FL
216 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Overall, Regent is a terrific cruise line. The food is incredible and with the exception of being a little bored during the afternoons with not enough to do, I have cruised with them several times.
rallydave did hit on an important piece here though. If something goes wrong, the silence IS deafening. On my last cruise with Regent - August 2011 - I was injured due to the negligence of a tender driver. I sent an e-mail to Mark Conroy and recieved a message back stating that he was looking into it. Great - or so I thought. He fowarded it to Gair O'Neill, whom I had already spoken to, and they stated that my own insurance should pay for my doctor bills and physical therapy. So, I wrote another letter to Mr. Conroy and sent it snail mail. I told him - again - that I had already spoken to Gair. I felt that it was wrong that I didn't get an apology at the very least! To date, I have heard nothing, nor do I expect to. How hard is it to say, "We're sorry this happened to you?" It would have released some anger and disappointment about Regent.
#33
Awesome Hill, Loomis, CA 95650 USA
727 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Travelcat2
You make a good point! Just wondering how many Italian white (or red) wines you have to taste before finding one that agrees with your taste buds Actually, Regent may be a good place to try out different wines from a particular region. Perhaps the Italian wines are premium wines and we have yet to try them.
Travelcat2 - Like all wine cellars and their wines, the search is always on for the best of the best. Italian wines have their range of best and bad like Chile, Napa, and South Australia. It is true that some areas of the world make better reds than whites, and whites better than reds. I have found the ongoing tasting in the hunt for that special red or white is a good part of the joy of drinking wine. Consideration must also be given to the status of our taste buds at the time of our drinking simply because how we feel and what we have consumed prior to the consumption can dictate whether or not we like the wine before us. Before I would write off all white wines from Italy I would like to attend a 'blind tasting' in which I have before me poured white wines from a variety of wineries in Europe and America. Chances are the Italian one might survive my narrowing down to the final glass. Then again, it might be the first one shoved aside. Jack Morris
#34
Dartford, Kent, England
404 Posts
Joined May 2007
Hi all, we are off on our first Regent cruise on May the 20th and are really looking forward to it, whilst we enjoy our wine, I also enjoy good old British bitter beer, I have been previously told that if I contacted Regent, then they may consider putting some on the cruise for me, I only like a couple per day normally with my feet up overlooking the stern, watching the wake and hopefully the sunset.

My question is to get a responce do I put the request onto the butler request section of the booking form (cant remember the correct name but I am sure you know what I mean), write to Regent (a name would be useful, and should it be to the UK or USA part of the company) or do I go throught my travel agent in the UK.

Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?

Regards
Marion & Kerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#35
Heidelberg - Germany
456 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by charltonkerry
Also whilst on the wine subject do they have Chablis (preferably premier cru) available, if yes, does anyone know if it's a freebie or do you have to pay extra? We don't know our wines well, but if you find something you like can you keep asking for it, or do they just serve a wine of the day?
Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards
Ralf
#36
Dartford, Kent, England
404 Posts
Joined May 2007
Ralf, don't know the answer to your question and i would also like to know it. You might be interested to know that a few of us have valiantly been trying to get a roll call started for this cruise so if you are interested in having a chat with fellow cruisers then go to the roll call section and I am sure you will find it. At the moment I am paying for the first round of drinks, if / when we meet.
Regards
Marion & Kerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#37
Miami, Fl
1,058 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by gcmv
Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards
Ralf
With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.
#38
Heidelberg - Germany
456 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
@Responder: Thanks for the quick answer - I will try to do that.

@charltonkerry: Uups - I mixed things up - I'm cruising on the Mariner not on the Voyager on May 20th. But I think on your Vineyards & Vistas Cruise you will have the oportunity to try lots of different wines on your tours ...
#39
Awesome Hill, Loomis, CA 95650 USA
727 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Responder
With respect to a wine list, after you board find a wine steward and ask them to get you a list of the included wines for your trip. They will get a printed list and deliver it to your cabin.

From that list you can get any of the wines at any time in any venue. You don't have to accept the suggested wines offered each day.

On occasion you may have to make the request for the list more than once as it needs to be provided via the head sommelier.
Responder - I wish I had your pointer on requesting the wine list from the wine steward on my last trip in January. It would have made a great difference in my consuption. I will follow your advice in April when Navigator shoves off for a cruise of the sourthern areas of the east coast. Jack Morris
#40
North By North West
367 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by gcmv
Hi Marion & Kerry - we will be on the same cruise and I have a similar question:

Is there an official winelist available that I can check, before we start crusing? This would be very helpful.

Regards
Ralf
Hi Ralf
I think you will find the variety of wines quite interesting. Given that Regent is US owned, I had expected the wines to be dominated by California varietals so you can imagine how surprised I was to be offered an Alsace Gewurz on our first evening - which we returned to more than once! Also found a spectacular Penfolds from Aus - admittedly on the premium list but at a bargain price! Can honestly say that you are sure to find something of interest.
Alan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
----------------------------------------------------------
RSSC Mariner Venice to Monte Carlo May 2011
RSSC Mariner Istanbul to Venice May 2012
RSSC Voyager Rome to Southampton May 2013
RSSC Mariner Venice to Monte Carlo June 2014