Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default VIP Boarding

We will be cruising with SIL and BIL in about 3 weeks. I did all the booking and researching for DH and myself. This will be our 2nd cruise. SIL and BIL went thru a travel agent. This is their 3rd cruise. They got a good rate because he is retired from the Air Force. SIL is thinking about renting a wheel chair. We were visiting with them today and they told us they have VIP status, and wanted to know if we got it. I said no - as far as I know you only get that after your 10th cruise - or maybe (not sure) if you have a suite (which they don't). They were very emphatic that their travel agent told them that they get to board first and get to be first in any lines. After they insisted that they were VIP, I told them to save us a seat on Lido then . I doubt very much if they get VIP - but am I missing something? They told us that they had a Fun Pass, and I chuckled and said that we ALL get a Fun Pass - but they said theirs was different.

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM
50,000+ Club

Actually, it may be somewhat miscontrued, but not entirely. If she boards in a wheelchair, she indeed, at the ports Iv been to, will board with the suites and the platinum cruisers.

I know because of my own sister and we got to board with VIP before I turned platinum.

I guess I should ask if she is disabled?? You mentioned she wanted to rent a wheelchair.

But being HC isnt VIP .. but maybe her TA was able to give it to her.

My fun pass does say VIP up in the corner .. sounds like what she has if you told you hers has something different.

Last edited by firefly333; September 5th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If this is only their 3rd cruise on Carnival and they are not booked in a Suite you are correct...

If they use a wheelchair they will be boarded after the VIP's but not 1st.

Carnival has updated their website over the last week or so and the "Fun Pass" is now listed as a "Boarding Pass" and they do look different... If you are VIP your Luggage Tags will also say VIP on them.

You have the right attitude when you said to save you a seat.. there are some people that you cant change their mind so just sit back and let them find out on their own.
Carnival Magic 05-11-14 Western Caribbean, ~ Carnival Magic 10-06-13 Western Caribbean,~ Carnival Magic 03-17-13 Exotic Western Caribbean,~ Carnival Destiny 06-25-12 ~ Exotic Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Magic 03-18-12 ~ Western Caribbean, Carnival Freedom 01-28-12 ~ Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Splendor 07-17-11 ~ Mexican Riviera,,Carnival Liberty 05-21-11 ~ Western Caribbean, Holland America Oosterdam 03-12-11 - Mexican Riveiera. Carnival Triumph 01-31-11 ~ Cozumel & Progresso , Carnival Liberty 10-09-10 ~ Western Caribbean, Carnival Spirit 12-21-09 ~ Exotic Mexican Riviera ~1st Christmas Cruise, Carnival Valor 09-13-09 ~ Western Caribbean, Carnival Valor 05-31-09 ~ Western Caribbean, Carnival Legend 10-12-08 ~ Exotic Western Caribbean, NCL Sky 09-19-08 ~ Bahamas, Carnival Splendor 07-02-08 ~ Inaugural Sailing ~ Europe, Carnival Spirit 10-13-07 ~ Exotic Mexican Riviera, Disney Magic 06-06-07 ~ Western Mediterranean ~ Europe, NCL Pearl 02-11-07 ~ Caribbean, Carnival Conquest 10-15-06 ~ Western Caribbean, NCL Spirit 03-00-06 ~ Caribbean, Carnival Glory 10-15-05 ~ Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Pride 10-17-04 ~ Mexican Riviera, Carnival Spirit 07-23-03 ~ Southbound Alaska, Carnival Spirit 03-16-03 ~ Exotic Western Caribbean, Carnival Fascination 06-25-01 ~ Key West & Cozumel, NCL Seward 01-06-90 ~Caribbean, S.S. Azure Seas 1981~ Long Beach to Ensenada, S.S. Azure Seas 1980 ~ Long Beach to Ensenada

Old September 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn125408 View Post
We will be cruising with SIL and BIL in about 3 weeks. I did all the booking and researching for DH and myself. This will be our 2nd cruise. SIL and BIL went thru a travel agent. This is their 3rd cruise. They got a good rate because he is retired from the Air Force. SIL is thinking about renting a wheel chair. We were visiting with them today and they told us they have VIP status, and wanted to know if we got it. I said no - as far as I know you only get that after your 10th cruise - or maybe (not sure) if you have a suite (which they don't). They were very emphatic that their travel agent told them that they get to board first and get to be first in any lines. After they insisted that they were VIP, I told them to save us a seat on Lido then . I doubt very much if they get VIP - but am I missing something? They told us that they had a Fun Pass, and I chuckled and said that we ALL get a Fun Pass - but they said theirs was different.
Next time you cruise with them....check and see if you can get the military rate as well. I believe they are allowed to book two cabins with the military rate.....

The TA is probably talking about Handicap Check In and Embarkation ....

the normal boarding order is:

Wedding parties
VIP (Platinum and Suites)
Handicap
then the rest of the passengers per zone

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
22 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
25 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

Last edited by LHP; September 6th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Old September 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
50,000+ Club

Galveston always lets HC board after wedding parties from what Iv seen. Not fair?? but its not like a dozen or so HC folks, canes, wheelchairs etc are going to hold up embarkation that long. They also have two lines to start boarding, two places for photos, one for HC and the rest to the other line.

Old September 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHP View Post
Next time you cruise with them....check and see if you can get the military rate as well. I believe they are allowed to book two cabins with the military rate.....

The TA is probably talking about Handicap Check In and Embarkation ....

the normal boarding order is:

Wedding parties
VIP (Platinum and Suites)
Handicap
then the rest of the passengers per zone

We book military and we can book 2 cabins, when its offered... NOT all the time.

phectorne@gmail.com

Carnival Fantasy (Bahamas) 2005
Carnival Fantasy (Cozumel) 2006
Ruby Princess (Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (Progresso/Cozumel) 2009 - 50th Birthday Cruise Review w/pics
Carnival Elation (Calica/Cozumel) 2010 - Review w/pictures
RCCL Liberty of the Seas (Mediterranean) 2011 - In depth Review
Carnival Conquest (Caribbean) Dec 2012 - "The Doomsday Cruise"
Carnival Elation (Caribbean) May 2013 - Davis's First Cruise!
Carnival Dream (Southern Caribbean) March 2014

Coming up:

NCL Gem (Canada/NE) October 2014 - Just me and mom!
Ruby Princess (Alaska) May 2015

Once, on my way to a dream, I got lost and found a better one.

Old September 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Military Friends & Family has been offered twice a year in the past - usually during May and sometime in the fall. We have seen them offer up to 3 extra cabins for friends & family for each qualified military cabin.

Also, my 2 cents... The prior posts are correct. You get VIP priority boarding at embarkation if you are Platinum Concierge class (starts with your 10th cruise) or if you are booked in a suite. There are additional benefits for Platinum:
  • Priority Embarkation - VIP Check In
  • Personal Guest Service Staff - An exclusive, fully staffed Platinum Desk
  • Personalized Stationery
  • Canapés - for cruises 5 days or longer only
  • Petit Fours
  • Carnival Logo Item
  • Complimentary Entry Fee into Blackjack or Slot Tournament - 18 years & older
  • Complimentary Wash and Fold Laundry Service
  • Guaranteed Dining Assignments
  • Guests may change their assigned dining time.
  • Guaranteed Steakhouse Reservations
  • Priority Spa Carnival Reservations and Complimentary Treatment Upgrade
  • Priority Tender Boarding
  • Priority Debarkation

Future:
Carnival Miracle - Catalina & Ensenada - October 2013
Carnival Imagination - Catalina & Ensenada - January 2014

Past:
Carnival Inspiration - Catalina & Ensenada - April & Sept. 2013
Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera - April 2013

Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - December 2012
Carnival Inspiration - Catalina & Ensenada - February & May 2012
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera - October 2011
Carnival Paradise - Catalina & Ensenada - March 2010
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - November 2009, October 2010
Carnival Paradise - Catalina & Ensenada - June & December 2009
Carnival Splendor - Victoria & Vancouver, Canada - May 10 2009
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - October 2008
Carnival Paradise - Baja - July 2008 - Platinum Concierge class!
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - December 2006 & January 2008
Sapphire Princess - March 2006 - AWFUL, NEVER AGAIN!!!
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - December 2003 & February 2005
RCCL Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera - December 2002
Carnival Tropicale - Mexican Riviera - November 1983, 1984, 1985

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default additional platinum perks

am i correct in assuming that by booking a suite and not being platinum, that the VIP embarkation debarkation is about the only so called platinum perks that you receive?

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, you are correct! According to Carnival, VIP embarkation & debarkation are the perks you will receive if you are in a deluxe suite. No other perks until you are on your 10th cruise and at that point you will receive the Platinum Concierge perks. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseox View Post
am i correct in assuming that by booking a suite and not being platinum, that the VIP embarkation debarkation is about the only so called platinum perks that you receive?
From carnival.com:

VIP Check-In Program
Priority Debarkation

VIP Check-In Program

Carnival’s VIP Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum guests, Carnival Vacation Club members and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations with special registration privileges. Cruise tickets for Platinum guests and those traveling in deluxe accommodations will read, "Please proceed to VIP Check-In".

Qualifying guest need only to ask for “VIP Check-In” upon arrival at the cruise terminal. Embarkation staff will ensure that the guests are expedited through the check-in procedure as quickly as is possible, while providing quality service.

We offer VIP Check-In at ALL embarkation ports.
Note: For those guests traveling with an additional stateroom that does not fall into one of the three categories above, the additional stateroom may check in through the VIP Program only if, 1) there are minor children traveling in the additional stateroom, or 2) the guests in the additional stateroom share the same Sail & Sign account with the qualified VIP guest.
Priority Debarkation

In addition, Platinum guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations will receive a debarkation letter offering a choice of how they would prefer to disembark the ship. They will be given the option of Self Assist (where offered) or Priority Debarkation; for Priority Debarkation, the guest will receive special luggage tags which will entitle them to debark the ship after the Self Assist guests but before the remainder of the guests.

Future:
Carnival Miracle - Catalina & Ensenada - October 2013
Carnival Imagination - Catalina & Ensenada - January 2014

Past:
Carnival Inspiration - Catalina & Ensenada - April & Sept. 2013
Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera - April 2013

Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - December 2012
Carnival Inspiration - Catalina & Ensenada - February & May 2012
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera - October 2011
Carnival Paradise - Catalina & Ensenada - March 2010
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - November 2009, October 2010
Carnival Paradise - Catalina & Ensenada - June & December 2009
Carnival Splendor - Victoria & Vancouver, Canada - May 10 2009
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - October 2008
Carnival Paradise - Baja - July 2008 - Platinum Concierge class!
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - December 2006 & January 2008
Sapphire Princess - March 2006 - AWFUL, NEVER AGAIN!!!
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - December 2003 & February 2005
RCCL Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera - December 2002
Carnival Tropicale - Mexican Riviera - November 1983, 1984, 1985

Last edited by cruisingalot; September 6th, 2010 at 09:25 PM.